Logging file names and line numbers with Boost::Log

I recently started using Boost::Log, and in general, I like it.  One glaring deficiency, though, is that it doesn’t log file names and line numbers.  This is really irritating, especially since it’s such basic functionality, and it’s the one thing all logging frameworks do.  I wrote a bit of C++ that adds this by adding the file name and line number as custom attributes to the log record.  I’ve attached a sample that shows how to use it.

Happy logging!

log.h

log.cc

22 Comments

1. Posted October 30, 2013 at 1:29 am | Permalink

Hello,

I’m also starting with Boost, struggling with it indeed 🙂 and I would need to log file names and lines, so your blog post was providential for me. Thank you for that.

However I’m having some issues that I don’t understand and I’m not sure if you could help me, because sometimes one needs the help of others to find the evident errors or mistakes that cannot find by himself. The problem I have is that when I add the streams to my backend, some syntax errors appear. They says that an invalid syntax is used but I’m quite sure it is not the point. The code of the program is in Paste bin, in this link http://pastebin.com/LKT2HW8g
    and the error appears in the 107 line of code, just in add_stream.

I’m still looking for a solution and I understand that you could be too busy to help me on this, but if you had some similar problem to this one and could help me, it woulg be great. Thank you anyway!

2. Posted January 29, 2017 at 6:49 pm | Permalink

It’s awesome in favor of me to have a website, which is
    useful designed for my experience. thanks admin

3. Posted January 29, 2017 at 7:30 pm | Permalink

Good way of telling, and nice piece of writing to get data
    concerning my presentation subject matter, which
    i am going to present in school.

4. Posted May 18, 2017 at 6:42 am | Permalink

Hello, this weekend is nice designed for me, since this moment i am reading
    this wonderful educational article here at my house.

5. Posted May 18, 2017 at 7:11 am | Permalink

Excellent, what a web site it is! This webpage gives helpful
    data to us, keep it up.

6. Posted August 28, 2018 at 11:18 pm | Permalink

WhatHappening i am new to this, I stumbled upon this I’ve found It positively helpful and it has aided me out loads. I hope to contribute & assist other users like its helped me. Good job.

7. Posted June 25, 2019 at 3:29 pm | Permalink

GCMAvt Really enjoyed this blog.Thanks Again. Cool.

8. Posted July 11, 2019 at 6:22 pm | Permalink

An intriguing discussion is worth comment. I do believe
    that you should publish more on this topic, it
    might not be a taboo matter but usually people don’t
    talk about such subjects. To the next! Kind regards!!

9. Posted November 30, 2019 at 1:39 pm | Permalink

Hi there, You’ve done a great job. I’ll definitely digg it and personally suggest to my friends.
    I’m confident they’ll be benefited from this website.

10. Posted December 21, 2019 at 2:58 am | Permalink

What’s up, after reading this awesome piece of writing i am too happy to share my know-how
    here with colleagues.

11. Posted January 7, 2020 at 10:46 pm | Permalink

I feel this is among the most vital information for me.
    And i’m happy studying your article. But want to observation on some general issues, The site style is great, the articles is in reality excellent :
    D. Excellent process, cheers

12. Posted March 2, 2020 at 1:52 am | Permalink

sehabis mmembaca blog ini saya bisa mendeskripsikan bahwa penulisan yang di jelaskan bermanfaat.

13. Posted March 2, 2020 at 8:53 pm | Permalink

menurut saya blog yang anda tulis ini menjadi inspirasi banyak orang.
    Thank you gan.

14. Posted March 5, 2020 at 10:56 am | Permalink

Wah,blognya bagjs nih gan bisa buat referensi kita kalo lagi bikin artikel

15. Posted March 7, 2020 at 12:54 pm | Permalink

Penulisan artikel ini jelas memberikan informasi yang bermanfaat gan. Terutama
    membuat saya menjadi termotivasi untuk mencari info seperti itu.

16. Posted March 13, 2020 at 11:17 am | Permalink

Ini dia, informasi yang akurat, menarik, dan lengkap. Makaih ya gan saya akan mempelajari lebih dalam
    lagi dari info tersebut.

17. Posted March 20, 2020 at 8:27 pm | Permalink

Tulisan artikelnya bagus gan, sangat bermanfaat sekali. Salam kenal
    ya semoga saya bisa melakukan apaa yang sudah di tuliskan.

18. Posted March 21, 2020 at 12:41 pm | Permalink

Betul banget. Artikelnya sangat bermanfaat min. Tambah info-info menarik
    lainnya ya min.

19. Posted March 25, 2020 at 3:55 pm | Permalink

dari banyaknya sumber informasi, sepertinya blog agan adalah yang
    paling tepat. Karena disini saya bisa mendapatkan pelajaran yyang sangat berarti.

20. Posted April 6, 2020 at 3:13 am | Permalink

Makasih gan, saya sudah merasakan manfaat inffo yang sudah anda berikan tadi.

21. Posted May 15, 2020 at 1:54 am | Permalink

Ein Zertifikat auf den Bitcoin-Kurs sein.

22. Posted June 23, 2020 at 10:42 pm | Permalink

I like this website very much, Its a real nice place to read and receive information.

28 Trackbacks

Nearby Paint

8. By coba ini on January 12, 2020 at 9:31 am

coba ini

9. By Bazbrothersproduction.com on January 13, 2020 at 10:19 am

Bazbrothersproduction.com

10. By klik saja artikel yang akan datang on January 14, 2020 at 5:21 am

klik saja artikel yang akan datang

11. By judi dadu uang asli on January 17, 2020 at 10:01 pm